[libvirt-users] Starting processes inside VMs using Libvirt?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 19:36:37 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 01:31 PM, Taimur Al Said wrote:
> Thank you Eric,

[please don't top-post on technical lists]

> I am using KVM: qemu.. I'll try to see how I can use qemu-guest-agent..
> If you have links to examples on how to start with it let me know please.
> Consider the following simple scenario..
>
> I am using KVM to run several VMs; one of OSs in the guests is Windows XP.
> I want to send to it something from the Hypervisor level, e,g
> text,parameters,etc
> so that it will be displayed in the VM screen or stored in a file so I can
> read from the VM later..
> It's best to be done on a live VM.

Definitely a job for a guest agent.  But libvirt doesn't maintain guest
agents - the qemu-guest-agent is part of the qemu project, so you may be
better off asking there.

> How can such a simple scenario be performed. Does it have to be through the
> method of qemu-guest-agent??

As far as I know, qga does not yet have such a command, so your first
line of attack is to patch the qemu sources to add a new guest agent
command.