[libvirt-users] unable to dissect libvirt rpc packets using wireshark plugin

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 11:10:24 UTC 2016

On 20.01.2016 09:49, gowrishankar wrote:
> Hi Michal,
> By the way, I noticed ipv6 loopback IP addresses in your pcap. As I
> normally try to capture on
> nic where migration carried out, I thought of checking with you if your
> wireshark could dissect
> libvirt RPC in such pcap too (captured on a nic) ?.
>
> During migration, I do not see any traffic on loopback and I think it is
> expected, but thinking
> how you get those captured ?. Any pointers/suggestions ? Appreciating
> your help.

Sure. Usually, when you are connecting locally ("qemu:///system" or
"qemu:///session") client and server talks on an unix socket. I forced
them to talk via loopback where I had wireshark running by:

1) configuring libvirtd to listen on network socket too (listen_tcp in
libvirtd.conf, passing --listen argument to the daemon cmdline)
2) connecting to qemu+tcp://localhost/system

Michal