[libvirt-users] KVM - full system ( disk+memory) snapshot by excluding the raw disks

Suresh Babu Kandukuru suresh.babu.kandukuru at oracle.com
Fri Mar 15 12:52:06 UTC 2019

Hi There ,

  I  have KVM VM with 4 qcow2 disks and 2 raw disks .  when I  try to take full system snapshot by excluding raw disks . it is give below error . can you help me how to fix this ?.  or is it possible to take full system snapshot in this case .?.

When I change XMl as internal snapshots for raw disks . It throws a message snapshot are not supported on war disks .

[root at localhost oscgpkg-7eee963550ba9e5b]# virsh snapshot-create --domain oscg2 --xmlfile oscgsnapshot.xml

error: unsupported configuration: disk 'vda' must use snapshot mode 'internal'

[root at localhost oscgpkg-7eee963550ba9e5b]#

[root at localhost oscgpkg-7eee963550ba9e5b]# cat oscgsnapshot.xml

<domainsnapshot>

  <description>oscg snapshot</description>

   <memory snapshot='internal'/>

  <disks>

    <disk name='hda' snapshot='internal'>

    </disk>