Re: New audit-perms patch [ Re: Audit perms check on recv ]

--- Stephen Smalley <sds epoch ncsc mil> wrote:

> I actually got the impression (possibly wrong) from
> Casey's posting that
> the desired associations were CAP_AUDIT_WRITE for
> AUDIT_USER only, and
> CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL for all other operations, even
> AUDIT_GET and
> AUDIT_LIST (and AUDIT_LOGIN).

This is correct.

> That allows
> applications to write records
> to the audit trail without any other access.

This is correct.

> Of
> course, it means that
> login would be able to arbitrarily control auditing,
> since it needs
> AUDIT_LOGIN.

Login is a critical component in the system
security policy enforcement. It can be expected
to undergo sufficient analysis and review to
ensure that abuse of the audit system is unlikely.

=====
Casey Schaufler
casey schaufler-ca com