Kernel handling of path length

Loulwa Salem loulwas at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 6 15:14:47 UTC 2005

I just thought to follow up on this problem .... I am still seeing it
using kernel.74 and audit.0.9.14

I noticed that when inserting a watch on a path strlen()=4095 but with a
space in the path, no error is generated and the case passes ...

Brief recap of problem:
inserting watch on path with strlen()=4095 comes back with error from kernel
Starting auditd:                                           [  OK  ]
Error sending watch insert request (File name too long)
Error sending watch to kernel
Fail - auditctl command returns 255
FAIL  :  Path length =PATH_MAX(without null) generated error

- Loulwa