rename syscall error with the .55.and .56 kernels

Loulwa Salem loulwas at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 9 15:31:29 UTC 2005

Hi,
Marly (our intern) discovered a problem in the rename syscall. We tried
many versions, and up to 51 this problem was not happening (52 and 53
did not boot for us).

The test we are running is part of LTP and it is rename04.c (under
ltp-full/testcases/kernel/syscalls/rename)
The test does the following:
- create temp directory (ex /tmp/dir1)
- create another temp directory ( ex /tmp/dir2) and create a file in it
(ex /tmp/dir2/foo)
- perform the rename syscall
	rename(/tmp/dir1, /tmp/dir2)

The test is expecting this call to fail with an errno of ENOTEMPTY (As
documented in the man pages). This call returns an unexpected 0, however
the renaming does not actually occur and the two directories remain
unchanged.

We saw this behavior on x86_64, i386

- loulwa & Marly