Freeing multiple contexts message

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sat Nov 12 12:53:11 UTC 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 09:36, Steve Grubb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think we need to change the message in audit_free_context(). It currently
> says:
>
> "audit(:%d): major=%d name_count=%d: freeing multiple contexts (%d)\n"
>
> This does not really indicate to the casual user that they've encountered a
> bug that needs to be reported. Is there a common method to flag kernel bugs
> that gets a user's attention? BUG_ON? WARN_ON?
>
> Also, does this message contain enough information for troubleshooting if
> someone reports it? Should it contain the syscall number, task name, or is
> anything else needed?
>
> -Steve

I bring this up again because the problem is still being reported in rawhide.
This message does not get people's attention, explain the seriousness of the
problem, or motivate people to report it. We need to change it to something
worded more ominously.

Also, is there enough information in this message to diagnose the problem? Do
we want to include more information in it?

Thanks,