Re: Bypassing audit's file watches

Michael C Thompson wrote:
Timothy R. Chavez wrote:
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 10:58 -0400, Steve wrote:
I have found that I can modify files that are being watched and audit not catch it (ie. no events are dispatched). When monitoring a file for all system calls, I can:

echo "" > /file/to/watch

or

cat some_file > /file/to/watch

without generating audit events. I assume this has to do with how the kernel handles re-direction. Is it possible to catch these modifications?

Thanks,
Steve

What are your rules?  You should catch these on open()
of /file/to/watch, right?

-tim

I am seeing this as well with the .42 kernel and audit-1.2.4-1. Not sure when this might have broken, but its broke now.

It seems if you set a watch on /file/to (to use your example above), then you are getting the opens that bash does, although the PATH record shows the item as "/file/to/watch".

So watching the parent directory will audit redirect shell magic, but watching the target of that redirection will not audit that same magic.

Mike

Oh, and it turns out if the action fails, then the watch on the target of redirection will get audited. So if you echo "123" > not_writable_file, and you have a watch on 'not_writable_file', you will see an audit record, but if the write is successful, then you don't see it.

Mike