File watching

Michael C Thompson thompsmc at us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 20 18:55:41 UTC 2006

Steve wrote:
>>> Is it possible to tell if a file was opened read/write or read-only
>>> from the events generated by audit?
>
>> The record does record syscall arguments, however, so perhaps you could
>> analyze a1= (I believe this is the argument that passes flags), and
>> figure out with what flags open() was called with.
>
> I performed an open on a file twice, the first is when the user had
> read/write privileges to the file and in the second the user only has
> read permissions.  These were the a# values from the events, respectively:
>
> a0=bfe6ac25 a1=8000 a2=0 a3=8000
>
> a0=bfd25b55 a1=8000 a2=0 a3=8000
>
> I'm not sure how to analyze that...

In both cases, a1 (the flags) is O_RDONLY (000 octal, 0x0 hex) and
O_LARGEFILE (0100000 octal, 0x8000 hex).

So you were opened as read-only. You can't determine the level of access
the user has from the above, although you should be able to infer some
information about it form the entire record.

Mike