auditctl usage for filter lists: "user" , "watch" and "exclude"

Michael C Thompson thompsmc at us.ibm.com
Thu May 18 15:58:23 UTC 2006

Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Thursday 18 May 2006 10:59, Michael C Thompson wrote:
>> Question, is it intended for:
>> auditctl -a exclude,always -F msgtype=CONFIG_CHANGE
>>    and
>> auditctl -a exclude,never -F msgtype=CONFIG_CHANGE
>>
>> (being active at different times) to both block the CONFIG_CHANGE
>> messages? I would assume that exclude,never to _not_ block messages of
>> that type?
>
> I can't see a reason to have both for the same msgtype. The first rule to
> match "wins" though, so the second rule would not apply.

True, but I didn't mean for you to interpret them as being active
together. Example:

auditctl -a exclude,always -F msgtype=CONFIG_CHANGE
auditctl -a entry,always -S chmod -- no message logged

auditctl -D

auditctl -a exclude,never -F msgtype=CONFIG_CHANGE
auditctl -a entry,always -S chmod -- no message logged

The 2nd no message logged doesn't make sense to me, as the exclude,never
is in fact causing the messages to not get logged.

Mike