[redhat-lspp] labeled ipsec auditing

Klaus Weidner klaus at atsec.com
Mon Oct 9 19:30:01 UTC 2006

Here's what Joy wrote:

> I am auditing when an ipsec policy is added and removed from the
> Security Policy Database. Should I also add audit when an SA is
> added and removed?

If I understand it correctly, SAs can also be added and removed manually,
and unless we forbid that admins do that, it would need to be audited.

If the SPD completely determines the rules for ipsec related to MLS, it
would not be necessary to audit the individual additions and deletions,
but I'm not convinced that's the case. Does modifying the SPD
automatically tear down any currently active SAs that do not match the
updated policy?

As always, keep in mind that the system only needs to be capable of
auditing these events, not that these events always need to be
generating. It's fine to keep the audit events off by default.

-Klaus