Re: An autrace that follows forks

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 16:06 -0400, John D. Ramsdell wrote:

> Last summer, someone else in my company made a simple version of a
> fork following tracer based on the audit library; however it does not
> compile on my FC5 machine.  The reason is he was including the
> kernel's headers for ptrace, which defines PTRACE_O_TRACEFORK and
> other symbols not part of the standard ptrace header.  I don't like
> the idea of requiring kernel headers to compile the extended version
> autrace.

 Note that although the FC5 kernel-headers package might well not be
updated, it's very likely that FC5 already has a kernel that supports
the PTRACE_O_ options[1]. So, personally, I'd just have something like:

#ifndef PTRACE_O_TRACEFORK
# define PTRACE_O_TRACEFORK 0x00000002 /* from kernel-2.6.x */
#endif

...and assuming you handle the error return from PTRACE_SETOPTIONS, it
should mostly just work on all relevant systems.

[1] git-annotate says that flag was added on: 2005-04-16 15:20:36

--
James Antill - <james antill redhat com>
setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_TCP, TCP_CONGESTION, ...);