Using audit for service monitoring...

Randy Zagar zagar at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 28 20:29:16 UTC 2006

If I wanted to use the audit subsystem to log something like stale NFS
handles, would this work?

        # ESTALE == -13
        auditctl -a exit,always -S all -F exit=-13

More importantly, is this an appropriate use of the audit subsystem, or
should I be doing this some other way?

If this is the right way to do it, how can I easily determine which
syscalls can return ESTALE?  Using '-S all' seems wasteful...

Suggestions always welcome,

-RZ

--
Randy Zagar                               Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
E-mail: zagar at arlut.utexas.edu            Applied Research Laboratories