Syscalls

Johnston Mark (UK) Mark.Johnston at o2.com
Wed Feb 28 12:23:45 UTC 2007

We're trying to setup auditing to match a few policy requirements. The
ones that I'm struggling with are the following:

1) Using auditd to check for system start/stop. In "man syscalls" it
shows shutdown, but auditd doesn't like it when I use this for a system
call. Would also have been nice to track any time someone uses init.

2) Use aureport to show logins (failed and successful). I've logged into
our system with failed and successful tries, and it's visible in
audit.log, but it doesn't show anything under aureport, the count is 0.

3) Were trying to log anytime someone is unsuccessful in doing
something. We've tried the open command with success!=0 as per the
example in the man page, but we get a whole bunch of stuff in the logs,
not the failed attempts

4) Were trying to track all usage by the root user, again we are getting
a whole bunch of other stuff in the logs, not actions by the user root
only.

5) We are trying to track changes to the system date and time. I've been
using the example in capp.rules, but all we get is ntpd, not the usage
of date, which we would like.

Thanks
Mark