Syscalls

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Feb 28 15:25:42 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 09:53, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> A malicious root user (or any user wanting to bypass a logging login shell)
> could just 'vi /tmp/foo', and then use '!your_command_here -h -x -Q 3' or
> whatever they wanted to do.

I don't think any security target or standard assumes that you have a
malicious root user. I think that crosses the line from recording what
actions are performed to potential criminal investigation.

> Probably what's *really* needed is a sebek-style logger that traces all
> terminal activity on that connection. http://www.honeynet.org/tools/sebek/
> but somebody would have to retarget that code to talk to the audit daemon
> rather than an external server on another box.

Yeah, a keylogger is what you'd need and that probably goes beyond what audit
should be doing. If you want to record a lot of data, then you could also
add:

-a always,entry -S execve -F 'auid>=500' -F uid=0