Why doesn't this rule block syscall records?

Taylor_Tad at emc.com Taylor_Tad at emc.com
Thu Jul 12 17:22:35 UTC 2007

I was trying out a syscall entry rule that I thought would block audit
records from system services/daemons that haven't had their audit ID
(auid) set yet.  I've tried both:

-a entry,never -S all -F auid=-1

AND

-a entry,never -S all -F auid=4294967295

(4294967295) is the value that shows up in the audit log for these
services.  I would have thought this rule was saying that at syscall
entry (for any system call), don't generate an audit event if the auid
is -1 or 4294967295.  It seems to have the opposite effect.  Have I
missed something?  Is this rule not saying what I want?

--Tad Taylor