Re: Absolute path names in PATH records

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:44:55 BST, Matthew Booth said:

> I've hit a hurdle trying to do some post processing on audit output
> because PATH records contain paths relative to the CWD, rather than the
> absolute path. How much effort would likely be involved in making sure
> these paths were always absolute?

Probably quite a bit, especially if they traverse symlinks and the like.
Additionally, you'd need to track *current* state of $CWD, as the absolute
path will change each time a chdir() happens, or if somebody does something
like 'mv . ../../foo'.  Particularly evil to track:

cd foo/bar/baz
./myprog &
cd ../
mv baz ..

Where's myprog's ../../bin pointing now?  And how would your post processor
know that happened?