Why doesn't this rule block syscall records?

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Fri Jul 13 13:03:51 UTC 2007

While working on parsing the ausearch output on RHEL 4 update 4 and
RHEL4 update 5,  I've noticed that there are some records generated that
have auid of unset/unknown (depending on which version of
auditd/ausearch you are using) that you may not wish to blindly ignore.
For instance,  an ssh login goes through some pam checks,  and even
though the auid is unset/unknown,  you can still discern who was trying
to log in and which pam check failed from elsewhere in the record,
something you may or may not wish to see when reviewing your logs.

I think I've seen similar things when users log in at the console, but
I'd have to double check.

Another important place I see records with auid unset/unknown when an
already-logged-in user initiates an "su".  I've been able to determine
the actual auid and effective UID (who the person was trying to become
via  "su") from other things in the audit record,  but this is another
case where you may not want to simply ignore  records that have auid
unset/unknown.

Food for thought,

Karen Wieprecht