Autotools usage in the audit package

John D. Ramsdell ramsdell at mitre.org
Mon Jul 16 17:15:36 UTC 2007

Please reconsider the way the autotools are used in the audit package.
It has always struck me as odd that the RPM spec and the
README-install file specify that some autotool program be run.  My
understanding is the autotool programs are to be run in preparation
for generating a source distribution, and that the RPM builder simply
builds a binary version of the distribution, just as someone builds
using the sources.

Another trick I suggest is to organize the sources so that the one
source for all version numbers in the package is the AC_INIT call in
configure.ac.  The RPM spec is built by running the ./configure
command, and audit.spec.in starts like this:

Name:		@PACKAGE@
Version:	@VERSION@

I have enclosed a patch for audit version 1.5.5 that implements the
changes I just described.

John