Filesystem filling up ...

Aaron Lippold lippold at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:42:39 UTC 2007

Hello,

I was hoping some smarter audit folks than I could look at this small
set of rules and let me know if anythings seem: 1) way too broad 2)
would fill up a file system fast 3) could use improvement

cat << 'EOF' > /etc/audit/audit.rules
## Submitted by JasonM at FSO.

# This file contains the auditctl rules that are loaded
# whenever the audit daemon is started via the initscripts.
# The rules are simply the parameters that would be passed
# to auditctl.

# First rule - delete all
-D

# Feel free to add below this line. See auditctl man page

# Increase the buffers to survive stress events
-b 256
-e 1
# Audit Failed opens
-a exit,always -S open -F success!=0
#
# Audit success and failure of delete
-a exit,always -S unlink -S rmdir
#
# Audit success and failure of admin actions
#-a task,always -F uid=0
-w /var/log/audit/ -k ADMIN
-w /etc/auditd.conf -k ADMIN
-w /etc/audit.rules -k ADMIN
-a exit,always -S stime -S acct -S reboot -S swapon -S settimeofday -S setrlimit
-a exit,always -S setdomainname -S sched_setparam -S sched_setscheduler
EOF

Some of my end users are saying their logging a lot of audits. We are
using the same kickstart file but my test systems are not filling up.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron