setting up auditd

Well I have a few problems and I can't find any good references on the net on how to do this. I have a RH Rel 4 system and it does not seem to be setup to run auditd (ok rpm reveals audit-0.5-1. but config file and device files non existent). And once i have that running I want to be able to have my own application write to the auditd . I understand audit-libs is required for that but have been unable to find it nor a procedure on how ot use it. I found some tid bits but they seem Rel 3 related.

Help!!!

Thanks,

Frank