About "tcp_client_max_idle" in /etc/audit/auditd.conf

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Dec 26 12:47:53 UTC 2008

On Friday 26 December 2008 02:07:56 am Chu Li wrote:
>        When reading manpage of auditd.conf, I found "heartbeat" in the
> explanation of " tcp_client_max_idle". But in the manpage of
> audisp-remote.conf there is no description about it.

I think it was assumed that an admin that is setting this up will read both
man pages since both ends need some adjustments.

> How to use "tcp_client_max_idle" and what is "heartbeat"?

This is a message being passed back and forth so that each end knows the other
is still alive. If one end segfaults, for example, it won't send a tcp close
and the connection can linger for a while. This lets each end decide that the
other is not working properly and then take admin selected actions.

> What will happen if "tcp_client_max_idle" and "heartbeat" is not set as
> zero?

Then it will perform the heart beat protocol with the max idle seconds being
the deciding factor.

I can add some explanation to the man pages.