Time field not readable

Kirkwood, David A. DAVID.A.KIRKWOOD at saic.com
Mon Nov 3 15:50:05 UTC 2008

I have had the audit running on multiple system for some time using
auditctl version 1.0.14 and everything is working just the way I want
it. I have been given a RHEL4u4 system ( which is what the others are)
and it havs auditctl version 1.2.1. The time field started out working
but ended up  as not readable. It seems to have revered to the message
id information instead of the time.

The audit rules files are identical and consist of:

            -D

            -b 8192

            -f 2

            -a exit,always -S all -F exit=-13

In version 1.0.4 I can use a line llike

            Ausearch -I -x /usr/bin/passwd | grep USER_CHAUTHTOK  to get
password changes whether they pass or fail

Which is anouth difference

The main difference, however is that the time, although starting out
correctly in 1.2.1 degrades to

            Monday 03,November,2008 ,..403:202

If the two versions are different, can I just replace auditctl 1.2.1
with auditctl 1.0.14 to get this system up quickly? If so, do I need to
change any other files?

Thanks

David A. Kirkwood
SAIC