buffer space

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Sun Aug 23 20:24:06 UTC 2009

(Top Post, sorry)
I gathered all that from the discussion, although I came to it late,
and am talking to the current developers to see what can be done about
it. I am just as opposed to wasting taxpayers dollars as you are, and
am sorry that SECSCN is being treated the same way as the SRR is
treated in the DoD community.
There is documentation from authoritative sources discussing variances
and custom configurations; all of the IC C&A compliance guidance I am
familiar with covers those points. At least in the DoDIIS and DNI
communities, we routinely accredit systems based on an understanding
of the total risk environment, and in my experience, do not adhere
slavishly to the output of a tool. More to the point, the new NIST
800-53-based process should be even more responsive to your needs
while still ensuring that appropriate security controls are in place.
That, in itself, however, will not fix problems with tools. The "test"
ruleset, especially file watches, was put together based on regulatory
auditing requirements for system configuration files, and purposely
covers all the ones I could think of and had seen on deployed systems.
Generally, if a file is not specifically called out by tool or test
engineer it is not audited; that goes double for files from uncommon
system daemons or servers. Thus, the output was supposed to stimulate
conversation between system developers/integrators and the less-
technical certifiers. In the absence of a qualified test engineer, I
don't really see any other way to do an assessment of the system;
whatever tool is used has to be able to look for things which a
certifier will not know to look for. To reiterate, the intent of
SECSCN is not and was never to produce a Mosaic pronouncement of law.
The SECSCN "code" itself is naive, and should perform more analysis
before uttering pronouncements. This naivete is the direct result of
it being a largely unfunded effort put together to serve a perceived
need. I live in the fervent hope that the C&A community, having
recognized the value of the tool, will make it into a formal program
and fund it.

Dave Muran-de Assereto
Technical Lead
DNI CAT