Do not record auditd events for crond attemps

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 16:26:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 11:16 -0500, Call, Tom H wrote:
> Steve, et.al.
>
>  Here is a representative sample of audit.log entries recorded
> whenever cron periodically (every minute) queries for cron entries
> that need execution.

Are your sure that these entries are created even when no cron jobs are
executed? That means you do not have any cron jobs which are expected to
be run once in a minute? If that was a case I'd call it a bug. Cron must
audit only when it executes a job not on each wakeup (once in a minute).

>  These events typically comprise at least 80% of all the audit.log
> entries although they are repetitive thoughout the log and do not
> indicate any user attempt to compromise the system.
>
>  Is there any relatively straight forward way that I can configure
> Auditd to not record events for crond routinely running as root?
>
>  I am using audit-1.0.16-3.el4 on CentOS-4.7
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tom Call, LMCO
>
> --
Tomas Mraz