Auditing Attemtps to run Audit commands.

Boyce, Kevin P (AS) Kevin.Boyce at ngc.com
Tue Oct 5 16:30:41 UTC 2010

Here is a silly question ( I don't know if this has been resolved in
newer releases, I am using audit-1.7.13).

I have an execve rule for any attempt to execute auditd for example.  I
never get any audit records when mortal users attempt to run the command
(even though they will fail).  I only see success events when the
commands are executed as root.

I know all of the executables that ship with the audit packages check to
see if root is executing them, but I think there is value in knowing who
might be attempting to stop the audit daemon from a security
perspective.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Kevin