Too many failed open syscalls

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Feb 9 18:17:59 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:09:50 pm Steve M. Zak wrote:
> We have been having an issue that got much worse just recently where the
> audits based on nispom.rules are generating millions of failed "open"
> syscall events.

The file in the audit package should probably have some customizations in it.

> In the past I saw failed open for the lock files under
> /usr/lib64/qt-3.3/etc/settings/... This seems to be related to KDE and
> maybe Kdevelop.  The number of events were manageable.
>
> gdb is now asking for many files under /usr/local/gcc441/...  and under a
> home directory where gcc was configured where users have read permissions.
>  Does this seem like an audit issue or a gcc/gdb issue?  I can filter the
> audit.log, but 1GB of audit logs a day is too much.

Paragraph 8-602a(1)(c) is this:
c) Successful and unsuccessful accesses to security-relevant objects and directories,
including creation, open, close, modification, and deletion.

In Industrial Security Letter ISL 01L-1 question 55, this was clarified as:
Only unsuccessful accesses need to be audited.