Daemon start problems

Stephen Quinney squinney at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 22 10:52:32 UTC 2011

I'm seeing some problems with the audit daemon not starting at
boot-time on a RHEL6 machine. If I login as root after the boot
sequence has finished it can be manually started without any
problems. At first I thought this might be a bad interaction with the
readahead tool (as noted in the technical docs for RHEL6) so I removed
that package entirely but the problem remains.

We have a slightly peculiar environment due to the config management
tool we use so I'm fairly confident this is our problem rather than a
bug in the auditd code. However, I'm struggling to debug why it is
failing each time. All I get back from the daemon is an exit code of
1, this seems to mean "generic or unspecified error", and no useful
error messages so I'm a bit stuck on what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Stephen Quinney

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.