Re: Path ignored but syscall event still logged

On Friday, January 13, 2012 11:46:58 AM Max Williams wrote:
> Hi Steve,
> Thanks for the reply. Yes and yes:
>
> [root host1 ~]# mount|grep ab
> /dev/mapper/VolGroupCF00-abf_graph on /naab2 type ext4 (rw)
> /dev/mapper/VolGroupCF01-abf_icff on /naab1 type ext4 (rw)
>
> [root host1 ~]# ll /|grep ab
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root               6 May  9  2011 ab1 -> /naab1
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root root               6 May  9  2011 ab2 -> /naab2
> drwxrwx---    5 root ab_users  4096 May 20  2011 naab1
> drwxrwx---    6 root ab_users  4096 Jun 29  2011 naab2
> [root host1 ~]#
>
> How does that affect the the rule, which was for the actual mount point,
> not the sym link? LIST_RULES: exit,never dir=/naab1 (0x6) syscall=all

Its OK for the top level dir to be a mount point. However, what about
everything under it?

/naab1/serial/data/dir1/serial/dir2/abc_load/temp/some-app/.WORK-serial/1568280a-4eef7e3f-3873

Could data or dir1 be a mount point?  If anything under /naab1 is
a mount point, then you have to tell the kernel to treat it as equivalent
to the parent dir that you have the rule on. For example, suppose data
was in fact a moint point and you mounted /dev/sda1 onto it. You
would need to add the follwoing to your audit rules:

-q  /naab1/serial/data,/dev/sda1

As for symlinks, I'm not sure that a recursive watch will follow the
symlink. If for example, some-app was a symlink to /opt/some-app,
I am pretty sure the watch will not follow over to the other device.
You would have to add a watch on /opt/some-app to get events.

The same thing applies for suppressing events.

-Steve