PCI-DSS: Log every root actions/keystrokes but avoid passwords

Hi,

This is my first message to the list to please be indulgent, I might be mixing concepts here between auditd, selinux and pam. Any guidance much appreciated.

For PCI-DSS, in order to be allowed to have a real root shell instead of firing sudo all the time (and it's lack of glob/completion), I'm trying to have any commands fired in any kind of root shell logged. (Of course it doesn't protect against malicious root users but that's off-topic).

So, I've been able to achieve that purpose by using :

$ grep tty /etc/pam.d/{su*,system-auth}
/etc/pam.d/su:session required pam_tty_audit.so enable=root
/etc/pam.d/sudo:session required pam_tty_audit.so open_only enable=root
/etc/pam.d/sudo-i:session required pam_tty_audit.so open_only enable=root
/etc/pam.d/su-l:session required pam_tty_audit.so enable=root
/etc/pam.d/system-auth:session required pam_tty_audit.so disable=* enable=root

Every keystroke are logged in /var/log/audit/audit.log which is great. My only issue is that I just realized that prompt passwords are also logged, eg MySQL password or Spacewalk, etc. I can read them in plain text when doing "aureport --tty -if /var/log/audit/audit.log and PCI-DSS forbid any kind of storage of passwords, is there a workaround ? Eg: don't log keystrokes when the prompt is "hidden" (inputting a password)

I'd like very much to be able to obtain real root shells for ease of work (sudo -i) my only constraint beeing: log everything but don't store any password.

Thanks,

--
Cheers,
Florian Crouzat