Questions about --with-alpha and --with-armeb configure flags

Miloslav Trmac mitr at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 17:21:55 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> > If I understand correctly it's only adding arch detection and syscall
> > tables to ausyscall. Why are these syscall table conditional?
>
> To reduce the number of text relocations in libaudit. Libaudit links against a
> number of applications and text relocations eats memory and increases startup
> time.

Is that really an issue with the current code?  The gentab.c code was designed to avoid text relocations.

At least on x86_64 (which, true, is especially well-designed for this), there are no text relocations in libaudit nor libauparse, whether --with-alpha or --with-armeb are used or not.  In fact the number of relocations of any kind is exactly the same in both cases.

Any one care to retest this on a different architecture, e.t. 32-bit x86?

FWIW, at least the attached patch was necessary to build with --with-alpha --with-armeb.
    Mirek