Help on Audit Rules

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 17:02:07 UTC 2012

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 08:33:59 AM Peter Moody wrote:
> auditctl -a exit,always -S execve -F success=1
>
> will audit log all successful execve(2) calls by all uids. It will
> incur a (possibly significant) performance hit though. Is there a
> particular binary/user about you're concerned?

Well, this is not the way we normally do it in the audit world. This would
capture both system and user events. Normally you want to focus on user
events. So, if you correct this rule then you are still faced with it won't
catch sourced files. Or the user could event start python and type the commands
in directly.

So, the way we normally do this is to use the key stroke logging. The main
issue is that you won't get the meaning of up arrows and things like that. I
think there are ways of restricting the history file and in memory history so
that users cannot circumvent it.

-Steve