'Nested rule' error message when getting auditd set up on my server

Tola Odejayi tolaodejayi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 22:49:25 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out which processes are deleting files from a specific
directory, so I want to set up and run auditd on my system.

I've set up the following (only) rule in audit.rules:

-a exit,always -F arch=x86_64 -S unlinkat -S truncate -S ftruncate -F
dir=/home/myfolder/cache -F key=cache_deletion

Then I type this to start the audit daemon:

auditctl -R /etc/audit/audit.rules -e 1

But I get this error message:

Error - nested rule files not supported

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong here, and how I can resolve this?

Tola