Auditing USB Question

lists_todd at mac.com lists_todd at mac.com
Thu Aug 1 00:43:58 UTC 2013

On Jul 31, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Josh <jokajak at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to audit the insertion and removal of all USB devices but I'm not sure where to start.
>
> Do I need to be auditing a specific syscall, should it be a udev configuration?
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

On my Mac (and BSM) I use syslog data to identify USB inserts, which includes the USB's manufacturer, model number, and serial number. Then I look at the mount command in the BSM data to see where it was mounted in the file system. Since I monitor all file reads and writes in BSM, I can also tell what files were read from or written to that USB thumb drive.

See if the Linux syslog messages contain the USB insert information.

Todd