auditctl rule to monitor dir only (not all sub dir and files etc..)

Stefano Schiavi stefanoschiavi00 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 15:36:45 UTC 2013

I am trying to use auditd to monitor changes to a directory. The problem
is that when I setup a rule it does monitor the dir I specified but also
all the sub dir and files making the monitor useless due to endless
verbosity.

Here is the rule I setup:

|auditctl-w/home/raven/public_html-p war-k raven-pubhtmlwatch|

when I search the logs using

|ausearch-k raven-pubhtmlwatch|

I get thousands of lines of logs that list everything under public_html/

How can I limit the rule to changes on the directory specified only?

Thank you very much.