rhel6/7 question

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 15:14:57 UTC 2014

On Friday, September 12, 2014 10:22:31 AM Steve Grubb wrote:
> As an aside, I have found that we also need an audit validation suite. What
> this would do is have someone start a system, login, logout, log back in,
> shut down the system, reboot and run the test to see if all necessary
> events have been generated, no duplicates, no spurious events, and fields
> are correct.

Since people have asked about this off list...

I have uploaded a state diagram of how the audit system is supposed to work to
my people page: http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/

This only includes the system events that give the user session context. The
whole user session can do anything based on the local rules/selinux
settings/file permissions. The point is to define the boundaries that can be
used to constrain the possible user events.

I'll upload the suite in its current form a bit later. It is a work in
progress...but identifies systemd as not being consistent in sending events.
Not to mention lightdm not being audit aware at all...