New draft standards

Burn Alting burn at swtf.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 9 01:43:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-12-08 at 19:28 -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 08, 2015 03:25:22 PM Steve Grubb wrote:

> > > Were these two specification documents created based on published
> > > standards from an established standards body, e.g. NIST, IETF, etc?
> >
> > No. All of the standards published to date is documenting what exists and
> > why. The needs are typically driven by common criteria and the need to
> > detect certain kinds of events for intrusion detection or anomalous
> > conditions.
>
> Okay, let's not call these "standards" and just stick with "specifications".
> The term standards has all sorts of connotations associated with it, both good
> and bad, and I think we should be clear when we start talking with other
> developers.  I think it would also be *very* helpful if you could explain the
> motivation behind these specs so we understand what problems you are trying to
> solve and what requirements you are trying to meet; you talk about this a bit
> in the conclusion, but more background would be nice.
>
> Another nit-picky comment, in the future I would suggest sending the specs
> inline in your mail; having to go to my browser to read your document and then
> cut-and-paste it into my email to comment on it means your request for
> feedback goes to the bottom of my todo list.  Lower the bar for collaboration
> as much as possible, if you inline the text all we have to do is hit "reply"
> to comment on the specs.
>
> Anyway, on to your docs ...
>
> * https://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/system-lifecycle.txt
>
> > System Lifecycle Auditing
> > =========================
> > This document will go over the events that are associated with starting up
> > a system and shutting it down. Knowing what events make up these actions
> > allows an analytical application to know the boundaries of all sessions and
> > actions a user may perform. It also allows identification of crashed systems
> > or malfunctioning services. The following table lists the events that make
> > up the system lifecycle in the audit trail:
> >
> > AUDIT_SYSTEM_BOOT - System boot
> > AUDIT_SYSTEM_RUNLEVEL - System runlevel change
> > AUDIT_DAEMON_START - Audit daemon startup record
> > AUDIT_DAEMON_ABORT - Audit daemon error stop record
> > AUDIT_SERVICE_START - Service (daemon) start
> > AUDIT_SERVICE_STOP - Service (daemon) stop
> > AUDIT_SYSTEM_SHUTDOWN - System shutdown
> > AUDIT_DAEMON_END - Audit daemon normal stop record
>
> Why both an AUDIT_DAEMON_ABORT and an AUDIT_DAEMON_END and not just an
> AUDIT_DAEMON_STOP with a field to indicate if it was a normal shutdown or a
> failure as outlined in the spec?  This would be more consistent with the other
> daemons and the shutdown result field could potentially be reused by the init
> systems for other daemons (assuming the information was conveyed via return
> values or some other mechanism).
>
> > Lifecycle of the system
> > =======================
> > When the system is powered on, control is eventually turned over to an
> [...]

Steve,

Can you mock up some examples of an 'enriched' event showing how it is
different from what we have now.

Being one of those people who maintain a central repository of Linux
audit, my main "ingest" concerns are to have data that is simple and,
hence, quick to parse and hence normalize.

I think the risks associated with resolution of raw data can be
mitigated by optionally maintaining the raw value as well when
transmitting the event to a central repository.

Given the above is implemented, then I would recommend the modification
of ausearch to optionally translate a complete raw enriched event into
either a single json or xml record and optionally include raw and
interpreted values. The decision to include both could be driven via
pattern matched directive (eg *id|hostname). In reality, irrespective of
whether the above is implemented or not, I would recommend (and will
probably create the patch).

To me the biggest benefit of Steve's proposal is the near real time
resolution of some values. This is particularly useful for IP addresses
(given one also notes somewhere, the name servers the system uses for
resolution) given their potential reuse in short periods of time.

Regards
Burn