Linux audit performance impact

Ed Christiansen MS edwardc at ll.mit.edu
Fri Feb 20 18:37:17 UTC 2015

As a guy who administers Irix today I can say the auditing on Irix is
extensive, but I'd hesitate to reference it in this context because
the satd does NOT give you the option to choose success or failure
audits.  You get both and it fills your disk fairly quickly.  I've
had to disable it during periods of high activity because it will
halt your system (also not configurable) if it runs out of space.  So,
maybe it didn't require much in the way of structure, but it left an
awful lot to be desire in the implementation.