Configuration file monitoring - reporting content changes

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 17:59:01 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:38:31 AM John Dennis wrote:
> On 07/20/2015 07:08 PM, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > On Monday, July 20, 2015 09:53:47 PM Burn Alting wrote:
> >> I am interested in any Linux based capability that will monitor
> >> identified files and report on actual changes to the monitored file.
> >
> > I know of nothing that does this. But as long as the list of files is
> > limited, it doesn't sound like a hard program to write.
> >
> > Any one else with an opinion?
>
> Yes :-) I'm not so sure it's an easy program to write and be robust in a
> variety of scenarios. I know because I wrote such a program once. The
> basic problem is most people think in terms of monitoring a file by name
> (e.g. it's pathname). But inotify operates on inodes, not filenames. If
> that file is subject to any variety of log rotation strategies or
> modifications by a configuration manager whereby the file is renamed or
> moved to a different directory then any program using inotify to monitor
> the file needs to become reasonably sophisticated and be able to track
> those changes. It is entirely possible for two processes to have opened
> the same file by name but have them be 2 different files (e.g. after
> opening the file path is modified but the process still has the original
> inode open, now a 2nd process opens the same filename but gets a
> different inode). Conflating inodes with filenames can lead to
> unexpected results and if the purpose is some sort of security
> monitoring it will be important these issues are accounted for.

I recently was doing some experimenting with the fanotify API. In my mind, I
think its likely to be better. But it has limitations such as mmap'ed file may
not generate a modify event. So, if I were going to do it, I'd start there.
But you do raise a whole lot of good points. My guess is this would watch
config files which logrotate wouldn't apply. But yes, editors do open a temp
copy and then do a rename. In my experimenting, I didn't bother to see how
fanotify handle renames. (You would think its a modify event.)

-Steve