Monitoring of linux containers

Roi Martin nibble.ds at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 21:46:17 UTC 2015

Hello,

First, let me give you a bit of context about what we are trying to do.
Basically, we are working on a monitoring solution for linux containers
based on audit. The idea is logging all the syscalls executed within
certain container and take metrics, that are compared with a baseline in
order to find anomalies on the executed services. For instance, take as
example a micro-service running within a container, if suddenly we see a
clone, followed by an execve of "/bin/sh", this should be detected and
actions would be taken automatically.

The thing is that to accomplish this, we need to create an audit rule that
allows to filter only those system calls executed in the context of the
monitored containers. For this, I can think on two possible ways:
1. By PID: Creating a rule like "filter all the syscalls executed by the
process with PID X and all its current and future children".
2. By namespace: It would be great to be able to create a rule that filters
all the syscalls executed under a given list of namespaces, in this case,
those corresponding to the monitored container.

But, after reading the audit's documentation, looks like right now any of
these options are supported without applying some unofficial patch.

A work-around would be to automatically add a new rule per new child, but
the new processes wouldn't be monitoring the time since its start until the
creation the rule, causing race conditions (creation of a new child, that
would not be detected, etc.)

Are you aware of some other option that would allow what we need?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Roi