[RFC] Create an audit record of USB specific details

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Tue Apr 5 02:54:56 UTC 2016

On April 4, 2016 6:17:23 PM Greg KH <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 05:37:58PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:

>> > Then please do it in userspace, as I suggested before, that way you
>> > catch all types of devices, not just USB ones.
>>
>> Audit has some odd requirements placed on it by some of its users.  I think
>> most notable in this particular case is the need to take specific actions,
>> including panicking the system, when audit records can't be sent to userspace
>> and are "lost".  Granted, it's an odd requirement, definitely not the
>> norm/default configuration, but supporting weird stuff like this has allowed
>> Linux to be used on some pretty interesting systems that wouldn't have been
>> possible otherwise.  Looking quickly at some of the kobject/uvent code, it
>> doesn't appear that the uevent/netlink channel has this capability.
>
> Are you sure you can loose netlink messages?  If you do, you know you
> lost them, so isn't that good enough?

Last I checked netlink didn't have a provision for panicking the system, so
no :)

>> It also just noticed that it looks like userspace can send fake uevent
>> messages;
>
> That's how your machine boots properly :)

Yes, it looks like that is how the initial devices are handled, right?
Allowing something like that is probably okay for a variety of reasons, but
I expect users would want to restrict access beyond this single trusted
process.  The good news is that I think you should be able to do that with
a combination of DAC and MAC.

>> I haven't looked at it closely enough yet, but that may be a concern
>> for users which restrict/subdivide root using a LSM ... although it is
>> possible that the LSM policy could help here.  I'm thinking aloud a bit right
>> now, but for SELinux the netlink controls aren't very granular and sysfs can
>> be tricky so I can't say for certain about blocking fake events from userspace
>> using LSMs/SELinux.
>
> uevents are not tied into LSMs from what I can tell, so I don't
> understand wht you are talking about here, sorry.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but uevents are sent to userspace via netlink which
does have LSM controls.  There also appears to be a file I/O mechanism via
sysfs which also has LSM controls.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com