Use case not covered by the audit library?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 16:28:36 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, January 05, 2016 09:59:25 PM Gulland, Scott A wrote:
> [...]

It has to be a field name that auparse expects to be encoded.

> So I plan on using the "op", "data" and "euid" fields.

euid would be a kernel originating field name. User space could lie about it.
The kernel is the only thing that knows the truth.

> Only the data field needs to encoded and ausearch does decode this field
> correctly.  My message text would look like:

> When I was using ausearch I expected to be able to find events by uid using
> either the "-ua" or "-ue" option that would match the euid field's value,
but no matching events were found.  Is this expected behavior?

What is the record type? ausearch is optimized to expect certain record types
to have fields in a specific order.

> The "-I" option did correctly convert the euid into the user name.

Interpreting and searching are different areas of the code base and are
independent. Interpreting is done after searching. No need to interpret fields
that will never be output.