The res field has a value of 1 instead of either success or fail

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 13:17:49 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:25:19 AM EDT Mateusz Piotrowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > On 19 Jul 2016, at 12:28, Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > type=CONFIG_CHANGE msg=audit(1464013671.541:406): auid=1000 ses=7 op="add
> > rule" key=(null) list=4 res=1 As you can see, there is a res field which
> > value is 1.
> >
> > Is it because my auditd is outdated? Is there a missing res field which is
> > purely numeric (just like the fields called fp [3])?

No. There is inconsistency because different people do it their way without
regard for anyone who is trying to make sense of the audit trail. This is why
I have published so many specifications. I want to point to the docs and say
you have to conform. And this is also why I want to write a validation suite.
We need to find all the outliers and fix them.

-Steve