Report Double Fetch Bug Found in Linux-4.6.1/kernel/auditsc.c

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 19:18:47 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-21 19:20, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-06-21 at 14:14 -0400, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> > > So far as userland can see, kernel log lines are separated by newlines.
> >
> > Newlines are control characters that would be caught by that filter.
> > That filter catches '"', < 0x21, > 0x7e.
> >
> > > If we fail to escape a newline, that makes it possible to inject
> > > arbitrary log lines into the kernel log, which may be misleading to the
> > > administrator or to software parsing the log.
> >
> > So, this is addressed, but I'm still trying to assess the danger of this
> > repeated call to copy_from_user().
>
> The problem is that newlines can be added to the strings by another
> task between the first pass that checks for control characters and the
> second pass that copies them to the log.

Understood, so this is the same sort of problem as Pengfei has raised
with respect to double quotes being added.

How can subsequent accesses of copy_from_user() be locked, or make sure
the entire buffer is copied in one go?

> Ben.

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Kernel Security Engineering, Base Operating Systems, Red Hat