Report Double Fetch Bug Found in Linux-4.6.1/kernel/auditsc.c

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 20:47:57 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-21 13:31, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> >> Understood, so this is the same sort of problem as Pengfei has raised
> >> with respect to double quotes being added.
> >>
> >> How can subsequent accesses of copy_from_user() be locked, or make sure
> >> the entire buffer is copied in one go?
> >
> > I don't believe it can.  And the fact that those strings can be
> > modified before they're logged kind of defeats the purpose of auditing,
> > no?  Seems like it would make more sense to copy the program name from
> > the binprm, log that at this point and don't even attempt to log the
> > arguments.
>
> Agreed.

I'm starting to come around to that same conclusion.  Any drivers I've
seen that attempt this are either locking a kernel strucutre, which is
within its control (precluding any unreviewed  patches or modules), or
are locking a userspace entity that is willfully co-operating, neither
of which is this case that concerns us here.

> You definintely can't lock the string.  An attacker could put the
> string in MAP_SHARED memory, for example.

Understood.  So the best effort we can do at this point is to copy the
string all at once, not iterating, and don't repass the string a second
time to do the actual work but use the first copy.

Thanks for the sanity check Andy and Ben.

> --Andy

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Kernel Security Engineering, Base Operating Systems, Red Hat