audit review question

Warron S French warron.s.french at aero.org
Tue May 3 18:28:12 UTC 2016

Steve,
	I typed up the instructions you provided to me on this thread, and I tested them so that I could then print and carry over to another building these implementations steps.

For the most-part implementation was very smooth.  I built a tiny virtual environment with 2 client machines {client1 and client2} and a single server {server1}.  I ran through the steps on the client machines as you described; and also on the server as you described.  I did not stray from your guidance (I realized where below you used the word 'set' you didn't mean to use that word inside the various configurations files explicitly - so I didn't add the word 'set' anywhere.

However, upon completion I ran the command:
ausearch --start recent -m DAEMON_ACCEPT -i

and it returned with the following:
<no matches>

I did this a few times and I did have success once.

I also attempted to use the command:    ausearch --host client1		and I got back 		<no matches>
So I thought maybe I should tail the /var/log/audit.log file to see if I saw any "hostname=client1" entries but I didn't see anything.

So, I have to ask about this part in your email::::
/etc/audisp/audispd.conf
name_format = HOSTNAME  or another suitable option

Was the name_format = HOSTNAME supposed to be set to;  name_format = hostname (the man page for this file indicates the lower-case version) or am I doing something else wrong?  I did allow port 60/tcp through the iptables firewall (and restarted the firewall).

Thank you,

Warron French, MBA, SCSA