EXTERNAL: Re: Audit watches on NFS mounts

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 16:22:14 UTC 2016

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 4:10:43 PM EDT Vaughn, Chad M wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response. That makes sense.
>
> One other thing, on Redhat 6.4 if the watch dir does not exist, ie automount
> NFS, then auditd will bomb out and not even start.

I have my doubts on this. What I would expect to happen is that the rules
being loaded by auditctl will get an error from the kernel and that is
displayed. If you do not have a rule to ignore errors then it will stop the
rule loading. Auditd itself should be up and running. The init script starts
auditd and then after its running, loads rules by auditctl.

> On Redhat 6.8, it seems to not care and start up anyway (better).  Kernel or
> Auditd?

That was also a kernel change. Auditd is pretty much like a specialized
syslog.

-Steve