audit.rules not fully loading into memory according to auditctl -l

warron.french warron.french at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 19:00:59 UTC 2017

Yes, certainly.

I had a 1.7GB messages file in /var/log; so I moved it manually out of the
way.  Then I rebooted.

After doing that, I didn't see anything at all about auditd in the new
/var/log/messages.

I have finally gotten it down to 13 audit rules, all still Action Rules
only for some reason, that are not loading into memory from
/etc/audit/audit.rules.
Those action rules are using -F path= attributes.

What is really interesting is that I have other action rules using -F path=
that are getting into memory!

These are the files that are not:
/usr/libexec/kde4/kdesud
/usr/libexec/openssh/ssh-keysign
/usr/libexec/polkit-1/polkit-agent-helper-1
/usr/libexec/pt_chown
/usr/libexec/utempter/utempter
/usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin32/vmware-user-suid-wrapper
/usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin64/vmware-user-suid-wrapper
/usr/sbin/lockdev
/usr/sbin/postdrop
/usr/sbin/postqueue
/usr/sbin/suexec
/usr/sbin/userhelper
/usr/sbin/usernetctl

I did the following to evaluate---
for FIL in `cat audit_action_rules_File | grep -v "^#" | awk '{ print $4 }'
| cut -d= -f 2`; do
   echo "Checking for ${FIL}."
   if [ -f ${FIL} ]; then
      echo "${FIL} is present."
   else
      echo "The file ${FIL} is not present."
   fi
done

Checking for /usr/libexec/kde4/kdesud.
*The file /usr/libexec/kde4/kdesud is not present.*
Checking for /usr/libexec/openssh/ssh-keysign.
/usr/libexec/openssh/ssh-keysign is present.
Checking for /usr/libexec/polkit-1/polkit-agent-helper-1.
/usr/libexec/polkit-1/polkit-agent-helper-1 is present.
Checking for /usr/libexec/pt_chown.
/usr/libexec/pt_chown is present.
Checking for /usr/libexec/utempter/utempter.
/usr/libexec/utempter/utempter is present.
Checking for /usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin32/vmware-user-suid-wrapper.
*The file /usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin32/vmware-user-suid-wrapper is not
present.*
Checking for /usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin64/vmware-user-suid-wrapper.
*The file /usr/lib/vmware-tools/bin64/vmware-user-suid-wrapper is not
present.*
Checking for /usr/sbin/lockdev.
/usr/sbin/lockdev is present.
Checking for /usr/sbin/postdrop.
/usr/sbin/postdrop is present.
Checking for /usr/sbin/postqueue.
/usr/sbin/postqueue is present.
Checking for /usr/sbin/suexec.
/usr/sbin/suexec is present.
Checking for /usr/sbin/userhelper.
/usr/sbin/userhelper is present.
Checking for /usr/sbin/usernetctl.
/usr/sbin/usernetctl is present.

I am still missing all 15 Watch rules in memory.

Warron French