AUDIT_NETFILTER_PKT message format

Pablo Neira Ayuso pablo at netfilter.org
Thu Feb 9 10:56:17 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 06:09:07PM -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm still waiting on more detailed requirements information from
> >> Steve, but based on what we've heard so far, it seems that ignoring
> >> forwarded traffic is a reasonable thing to do.
> >
> > OK, I have done teh analysis to see where things stand on this ...

> > At this point, I would say there is no purpose for xt_AUDIT.c based on Common
> > Criteria. It looks like its built in response to the
> > CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_AUDIT config option. So, it can be cleanly
> > deprecated.
>
> Based on some off-list discussions with Richard it would appear that
> there are several users of the NETFILTER_PKT record so I am in no
> hurry to deprecate it.  Considering that there are no CC requirements
> on the record, I think we can focus on simply providing a basic record
> that satisfies the whims of the userspace tools without adding any
> pain to the kernel.  I believe Richard is currently working on a
> proposal to do that, let's discuss it further in that thread.

If the concern is to keep the existing output format around, you can
add new functions with the specific new layout at the cost of keeping
more code around. That should be fine since this code is not much
complex IMO. You can probably add a new explicit command line option,
eg. --version, that indicates what audit format version you want to
use, so users don't break.

BTW, any plans to add audit support to nf_tables?

Thanks.