What fields should be used for reporting shared memory?

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Wed May 10 12:37:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 06:21:53PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
>On Monday, March 20, 2017 7:36:14 AM EDT Martin Kletzander wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 09:04:52PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I apologize for the delay.

>> >If both of these result in a path, then I think we want to log it as a
>> >resource event.
>>
>> Yes, and they both are resources in its sense. So you are talking
>> particularly about the resrc= field?  Should that also have category and
>> class or anything else set?  Or do you mean we report the path in the
>> resrc= field?
>
>No, I mean we would want the path to the memory in a VIRT_RESOURCE event. :-)
>How about something like this:
>
>type=VIRT_RESOURCE msg=audit(1488441043.591:2977): pid=25464 uid=0
>auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:virtd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
>msg='virt=kvm resrc=shmem reason=start vm="rhel7.3" uuid=a7708061-
>faa0-42ce-897a-e92fb75fcf1d size=4194304 path="/dev/shm/my_shmem1" exe="/usr/
>sbin/libvirtd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'
>
>Having the full path would make it more normal when reporting on files in use.

>> >Above you mentioned that the server communicates which region to map. Can
>> >you explain what that means?
>>
>> The server sends a file descriptor to the VM over the socket, details
>> can be found here:
>>
>> http://git.qemu-project.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=docs/specs/ivshmem-spec.txt
>> #l151
>
>This one is harder. What we really want to know is the size information. But
>libvirtd doesn't have it I assume. That makes it sound like ivshmem should log
>it, but it probably doesn't know the reason, vm name, or uuid or anything
>else. So, this is probably not good.
>
>I guess about all that you can say is that a ivshmem-socket is being assigned.
>I guess let's do it like this:
>
>type=VIRT_RESOURCE msg=audit(1488441043.591:2977): pid=25464 uid=0
>auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:virtd_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023
>msg='virt=kvm resrc=ivshmem-socket reason=start vm="rhel7.3" uuid=a7708061-
>faa0-42ce-897a-e92fb75fcf1d ivshmem="my_shmem2" exe="/usr/sbin/libvirtd"
>hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=success'

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.  I was under the impression that
I replied to you and no matter how much I look I can't find the reply.

I agree with everything with one exception.  I would change the
ivshmem="my_shmem2" to path="/path/to/ivshmem.socket".  That will also
clearly show what VMs share the shm objects.

If that's OK with you, I can propose the patch for libvirt in a little while.